Two major things have recently caught my attention. They are more like strategic and of long term importance for the Oracle database.
1. Real online patching and database upgrades are still happening mostly on power point presentations. They should not be dependent on database types, patch type, version, replication, etc. and should be in DBA terms simple.
Top Google searches for Oracle database live upgrades relate rather to certification upgrades, not database upgrades:
Does Oracle have zero downtime maintenance, have a look:
Is Oracle Golden Gate similar to QREP in IBM’s DB2?
2. Product quality of all database components is getting worse and worse all the time.
– Look at the 10.2.0.5 bug fixes: they are just too many!
– The following three components throw too many errors and bugs: all types of replication, RAC and Grid Control
– ORA-600 pops up too often nowadays!